Decision Day
Premier Pro was somewhat overwhelming at first. Upon opening the program I had to
first figure out what everything that I was seeing was. There are multiple windows within the
program and I had to figure what each of these were. The tutorials were very helpful in guiding
me along on the system, but I still had to do and figure it out. I have absolutely zero prior
experience with video editing, so it is not a skill I am currently very comfortable with. My
editing skills have improved with even the little bit of work I did in Premier Pro, but I am still
not comfortable with it. For example, cutting and removing portions of a video is a bit daunting
for me. I try to very careful when doing it so I do not create extra work for myself fixing
everything I messed. Putting multiple videos together and working with voice overs is still
something I need to work with, as I did not get to going in depth working on those. Video is an
excellent medium for story telling so I will work on improving my skills with Premier Pro as
story telling is important for learning according to the article “Our Place in the Universe: The
Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom”.
In contrast, In Design was a better experience for me. I have a fair amount of experience
working with picture editing. I am more confident in my current abilities with picture editing. I
like In Design because it gives me much more tools to work with than I am used to. I particularly
like how different elements can be put together, how the cropping works, and how the
components of a magazine cover can be assembled into a good looking final product. I could see
myself using In Design for things other than magazine covers. I think it would be a great service
to make video thumbnails, flyers, or really anything where a nice design would be good to have.
I am going to do the magazine project. I found In Design to be easier to use and learn
than Premier Pro and I enjoyed using it more. It will be good to use a service I am comfortable
with, enjoy using, and already have a decent capacity to use. As I mentioned in my impression
with Premier Pro, I do not have experience with video editing. I also lack experience with
filming and producing video content. That is not to say I could not learn that skill but I would
rather not do a project where I would have to completely learn from scratch. Additionally, I think
doing the magazine project would be more beneficial to me. Print media is slowly losing
relevancy and market share, as stated in “Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of
Literary Magazines”, but the writing skills involved with the magazine are more important for
me to practice and improve than video production. Video media is growing, but I do not plan on
making extensive use of video production
Comments
Post a Comment